The Northern Powerhouse Partnership has welcomed a donation of Muckle laptops to help upgrade digital home learning for children during the current coronavirus related school closures.
At least 55,000 families in the North East do not have access to a laptop, tablet or desktop computer, according to new analysis from the Northern Powerhouse Partnership, with fears many children could fall behind with their education.
The group has worked with various partners to launch Laptops for Kids North East with Donate Digital – asking businesses across the region to donate unused laptops, PCs, tablets and chargers. The devices are then professionally wiped before being distributed out to families in need.
We were of course happy to help, and have donated six laptops that we had available, but it’s not just businesses that can get involved – anyone can donate their spare tech.
How do I donate?
Visit donate.digital.co.uk and fill out a donation form, or pop along to one of the donation drop off points below.
Donate at local Co-op stores:
- Choppington, Northumberland, NE62 5DA. Open 7 days 7am – 10pm.
- Great North Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE13 6LN. Open Monday – Saturday 6am – 10pm and Sunday 10am – 10pm.
- Coxhoe – Park Road, County Durham, DH6 4HA. Open 7 days, 7am – 10pm.
- Newton Hall, County Durham, DH1 5LT. Open Monday – Saturday 7am – 10pm, and Sunday 10am – 4pm.
- Quebec Street, County Durham, DH7 9UU. Open 7 days, 6am – 10pm.
- Ushaw Moor, County Durham, DH7 7LQ. Open 7 days, 6am – 10pm.
- Prudhoe, Northumberland, NE42 5HF. Open Monday – Saturday 8am – 10pm, and Sunday 10am – 4pm.
- Ryton – Parsons Drive, Tyne and Wear, NE40 3RA. Open Monday – Saturday 7am – 10pm, and Sunday 10am – 4pm.
- Whickham – Oakfield Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE16 5BY. Open Monday – Saturday 7am – 10pm, and Sunday 10am – 4pm.
- Low Fell – 459 Durham Road, Low Fell, Gateshead, NE9 5EX. Open 7 days 7am – 10pm.
- Haltwhistle – Main Street, Haltwhistle, Northumberland, NE49 9AH. Open 7 days 7am – 10pm.
- Corbridge – 4- 6 Hill Street, Corbridge, Northumberland, NE45 5AA. Open 7 days 7am – 10pm.
- Shiney Row – 1 -3 Grangewood Court, Shiney Row, Houghton le Spring, Tyne and Wear, DH4 4RS. Open 7 days 7am – 11pm.
- Sunderland – Northmoor Road, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, SR3 1TJ. Open 7 days 6am – 11pm.
You can also donate your tech at North Tyneside Council offices, Quadrant East, The Silverlink North, Cobalt Business Park, North Tyneside, NE27 0BY: Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm.
Click here to learn more.